Package DataBase View output a HTML view of a RPM or dpkg database. Its modular design allows easy addition of others package management database and export format (as xml).
Why using it:
- it does not require lucid/gtk+/qt or other big libs.
- it does not require a web server - but it can be used with a web server, as any other html files.
- it does not require a X server running, you can use a text mode browser that support frames as links.
- it does not require special privileges to access to the output. But access can be restricted by using chmod/chown (filesystem) or .htaccess (apache).
- since output is generated by a cronjob, access to the output is as fast as your computer is able to read/serve text files.
Why not using it:
- it's purpose is not to manage packages installed.
- since output is generated by a cronjob, informations are dated, and can be outdated if the database change very frequently.
This project has the following developers:
New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.
Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.
If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!