Project info for RusXMMS
Created 11 Aug 2005 at 01:42 UTC by csa, last modified 12 Aug 2005 at 17:57 UTC by csa.
Freshmeat page: http://freshmeat.net/projects/rusxmms/?branch_id=59819&release_id=203875
Originally, the project was aimed to provide means to work with multiple encodings of the same language through adapting encoding of ID3 tags, M3U and PLS playlists (including file names) to local settings on-the-fly. Both the tag reading and writing back using any selected encoding was supported.
Nowadays there are library available providing the same functionality for almost any program with just a few lines of code. The library is not limited to ID3 tags, it can be useful for any program working with small titles or file names in different languages and encodings. The patches for several music players, ID3 tag libraries and some other programs are available on the project page.
The Abilities of RusXMMS2 Project Library
The Available Patches
- Language Autodetection
- On the fly translation between languages, using online-services!
- Encoding Autodetection for most of European Languages1
- Support for encoding detection plugins (besides Enca and LibRCD)
- Recoding/translation of multi-language playlists!
- Cache to speed-up re-recoding.
- Possibility to configure new languages and encodings.
- Shared configuration file. For example mentioned TagLib and LibID3 patches do not have their own user interface, but will utilize the same recoding configuration as XMMS.
- As well the separate program for configuration adjustment is available.
- GTK/GTK2 UI Library: you can add properties page to your GTK application with 3 lines of code.
- Menu localization opportunity
- RusXMMS: Visualization and editing of the whole range of ID3 tags using any of eight byte or unicode encodings. Support for playlists with non-english filenames. The translation of foreign languages to english or locale one is supported as well. The embeded properties page. The patch makes XMMS the best player to work with ID3 titles.
- TagLib: Visualization and editing of ID3 v.1 and v.2 titles. Any TagLib based application will correctly work with ID3 tags out of the box. The properties page can be added to application with several lines of code. Additionaly, after applying the patch, the 'tagwriter' program from the TagLib examples can be used to convert titles of all your MP3 files to unicode ID3 v.2 tags just using command: "tagwriter *.mp3".
- LibID3: Visualization of ID3 v.1 and v.2 titles. Any LibID3 based application will correctly display (but not edit) ID3 tags out of the box.
- Mpg123: Visualization of ID3 v.1 titles.
- GFtp: Recoding file names between FTP servers using different encodings.
- Unzip: Recoding file names from Windows created archives.
This project has the following developers: