Project info for FotoBilder
Created 6 Sep 2002 at 01:33 UTC by mart, last modified 6 Sep 2002 at 01:37 UTC by mart.
FotoBilder is an open source web application built on mod_perl & MySQL that lets users manage galleries of pictures. The following list indicates the plans for this project, some of which are implemented right now, and others of which will follow soon.
- There is no enforced directory structure. Everything is based on galleries.
- A picture can belong in zero or more galleries.
- Fine-grained security on both pictures & galleries.
- Meta-data, meta-data, meta-data. (site-defined, user-defined, camera-defined (EXIF), etc..)
- Automatic image scaling & thumbnailing. Galleries can all have their own thumbnail styles. The backend supports storing multiple thumbnails per picture per gallery, too, so a gallery could have greyscale thumbnails that turn colored on mouseover. In addition, thumbnails can be of only a specific crop-region, defined per gallery, or global. (that's another meta-data item)
- A unique picture is stored only once, regardless of how many people upload it independently.
- Users can import their friends' galleries into their own collection. If five people take their digital cameras to a party, afterwards all party attendees import all five of those galleries, merge them, relabel, etc. all while keeping metadata on each pic of whose gallery it came from originally (if they choose)) People can, of course, choose who can import their galleries.
- People running FotoBilder servers on different hosts can still import from other people's FotoBilder servers.
- Arbitrary keywords on pictures/galleries. Searching on keywords or arbitrary logical expressions. Users can also define their own implications.
- Elaborate theme support for user pages and galleries. (anywhere from wizard-driven to fully user defined)
- Optional message boards on galleries/pictures.
- Clients for easy image uploads.
- Support for both still images and videos.
- Lots of hooks in the code, for extensibility.
FotoBilder is open source, and individual users and families with their own server can run FotoBilder installations for their own use. While somebody could run FotoBilder open to the public, they probably wouldn't, as it'd cost them too much in disk and bandwidth. For people without their own server, FotoBilder will be installed on a pay site, PicPix.com. PicPix.com will use both the open-source FotoBilder code and closed-source extensions for billing, disk/bandwidth tracking, etc. including the ability for users to define what groups of people (anonymous, friends, certain friends) can waste how much of their bandwidth, at what rate, etc.
This project has the following developers: