Damn. First major code submission and my first major screw up. The libao mega-patch I submitted to vorbis got integrated and broke the build for NetBSD users. Some guy started mouthing off on another list about how vorbis sucks because the tools (ogg123 and vorbize) don't work for NetBSD. Actually, they do (since NetBSD supports OSS) I just forgot to include that in the configure script. Grr..
I feel bad that Monty has to put up with crap like that when it was my fault in the first place. It also irritates me when people start mouthing off about how crappy a program is when the effort required to fix the problem is trivial. Email me about the problem and I'll fix it! Don't go complaining like a helpless fool. That's what you do when you run software that is written by people who don't care (or aren't paid to care) about users (cough, cough, insert your most hated program here).
I guess this is part of the learning experience. I can hardly wait until I get my very own flames. :)
Update: Argh. I hate script kiddies. Some prick buffer overflowed our ftp server and installed a root-kit. Fortunately, the root-kit install deletes samba (why?) which is rather essential to the operation our server. So I noticed right away when I got back from lunch that something was wrong. Next, rpm -Va saved my butt and showed me what had been screwed with. Actually finding the root-kit took a while until I noticed that all of the files this kid created were owned by the ftp group. "find -group ftp" quickly turned up a "/lib/ " (yes, that's three spaces) directory. Bingo! The installation script and all of his goodies were left there. Additionally, the kid left his buffer overflow login in the log, so I had his IP on a DSL modem. A quick letter off to the abuse address of his ISP will hopefully take care of things.
My lesson for the day is read the RedHat Security Advisories. They had the wu-ftpd exploit up for a month already. (Smack!)