29 Dec 2002 shlomif   » (Master)

dmoz Cleanup

Throughout the last couple of days, I settled out on cleaning the "Configuration Management : Tools" dmoz category. Now I'm left with 17 pending links. Man, this takes a lot of time, but I'm almost finished with it.

Syscalltrack's Homepage

I started a branch in the Syscalltrack CVS to implement some homepage cleanups. Here is a report I wrote on what I did.

Meanwhile, it was reported that MSIE displays the border of the navigation bar in white instead of black. This turned out to be a bug in the CSS stylesheet in which the text specified border-right : medium solid ; color : black; instead of border-right : medium solid black. I also fixed it in my branch.

KDE 3.1

While looking at the KDE archives, I found out that packages of KDE 3.1-RC5 for Mandrake 9.0 were prepared. I decided to install it. The installation went quite OK, and my new system is stable. Some bugs were eliminated from 3.0.x and some were added (as usual).

Strangely enough, I found old bug reports of the same bugs in the KDE bugs tracker, but then realized they were very old. So I reported them again.

kdegames from the CVS

Having KDE 3.1 installed made it possible to compile the HEAD branch of kdegames from the CVS. Took a bit to install, and the out-of-date makefiles (which I had to run automake with) gave me some trouble. Then the DocBook documents absolutely refused to compile, so I removed their directory from the SUBDIRS of the makefile. And naturally, it takes a long time for g++ to compile KDE code. At the end of the day, however, I had it built and installed.

This enabled me to work on kpat and integrate the changes I wanted their. I removed the limitation for game numbers only up to 32,000, and integrated the new Freecell Solver their. gcc was ran with a lot of extra flags (-ansi, -pedantic, -Wundef, etc.) and it spewed a lot of warnings and complained about many things. Eventually, however, I was able to resolve them.

Then, while trying to solve a game, I discovered a bug in Freecell Solver which forced me to release the 2.8.3 version of it. I fixed it in both CVS branches, and in the KDE integration, and now I'm back on track. What's left to do is to hard-code a nice command line preset into kpat, so it will have less unsolvable games reports.


It was raining on and off the last couple of days. On Friday morning, there was a beautiful sunshine and I went to bike. Then it started raining in the afternoon. On Saturday it was also sunny, so I went to a walk in the morning and biked in the afternoon. Today seems sunny as well so far.

My sister Noa and Dad returned from their trip to England and the States. Noa had a surgery which was supposed to handle her over-perspiration problem. They brought a lot of toys, food, books and other stuff.

Michal (my other sister) meanwhile has homework to do. In her "Intro to Programming" class, she had to write an C function, that removes a specified character from a string. It can be done in O(n) time by keeping two pointers. Today, she worked on her Linear Algebra exercises and I also helped her a little.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!