Sunara bought a netbook
She unboxed and booted it up while, beside her, I napped in bed. After five minutes of clicking sounds, she asks, "how do I change the wallpaper in Windows 7?"
I rarely have that sinking feeling. But, it followed a vague memory and preceded a web search turning up a blog post from the Windows Team engaging in damage control:
Windows 7 Starter does not include:
- Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
- Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
- The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
- Multi-monitor support.
- DVD playback.
- Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
- Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
- Domain support for business customers.
- XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.
I've suspected she reads faster than me. This time, even though I already knew what was written, I had barely started on the list before she leaped to her feet and shouted angrily while pointing at the brand new netbook now in my hands, "I can't fucking believe that! I am so fucking mad! How can they do that?!"
I shrugged, and said, "monopoly."