A long weekend but only few time spent hacking. Didn't touch the The GNU FontManager code at all, but GIMP FreeType makes great progress. Preview is almost working, rotation does work and Andy committed code to create bezier paths from the glyph outlines. Guess we can release a first snapshot of the code very soon now.
Congrats to Heather and Raph.
Couldn't stop Xach from posting an announcement for GIMP FreeType on the Gimp News frontpage, so now everone knows about it. One interesting contributor already showed up who has code to create bezier paths from glyphs. I'm looking forward to see this in CVS. In the meantime I have hacked up a preliminary fontselector which will help me to settle on the design for the final one. After some discussion on #gimp the plans are pretty clear now and I hope to have some code ready soon.
Checked the first code of the GIMP FreeType plug-in into CVS (gnomecvs module gimp-freetype). This is still alpha and we now it's buggy, but the project promises to be lots of fun.
Spent the weekend in Karlsruhe at Jens's place and as expected we did nothing but hacking... As a result the BumpMap plug-in has become much better (you could even say, it is working as expected for the first time now). A lot of foxes jumped over dogs while we hacked together a mockup for what could become GIMP's new text-tool. We now have a plug-in that renders text using the FreeType2 library and it does an extremely good job at it. There are still some minor problems with the bounding box and the code needs a review (and a Makefile etc.) before it can be released.
Fixed the strange bug kelly reported. I really thought we already had proper checks for the resolution values but it turned out that NaN is greater than GIMP_MIN_RESOLUTION (which is 1e-5 at the moment).
Eventually I'll rise the GIMP_MIN_RESOLUTION value to something that gets displayed as != 0 in the UI with the number of digits we supply for our units. Actually that would mean setting it to 1e-3. Will that be small enough? In the past each time we set a limit someone immidiately started to complain...
Whee, finally finished the remaining bits of the manuscript for the new edition of GIMP kurz und gut. Took several months longer than I had expected, but mostly due to the fact that GIMP is a moving target and 1.2 should have been ready month ago too. However, both the book and The GIMP have definitely benefitted.
New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.
Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.
If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!