Against my better judgement, I've spent some more time messing around with the Validator (hey, the SO is out of town and who needs sleep? ;D), and it turns out it was well spent.
The code is still a mess, but now I no longer choke on pages with errors and I even validate more stuff then the original (the XML spec and SVG 2.0/2.1). I've got pretty CSS for the output (from the W3C Core StyleSheets) and a few other cosmetic changes (Gerald will hate me for this! ;D).
I still need to clean up the code, test more, fix some niggling little issues and possibly translate to Norwegian. However, things are looking good for a late-beta release this weekend. I'll probably have to browbeat Gerald into taking a look at it though. It's unlikely that all my sweeping and oftimes frivoulous changes will be right for use at w3.org so I'm sorta expecting to have to back out of at least a few of the changes.
Snapshot is available at <URL:http://www.tss.no/~link/dist/val.tar.gz>.