OK, so I lied. But I have a good excuse: I ran into more build problems.
The problem is that the Easy SW people were really nice, and incorporated lots of the changes I wanted into the build process, as well as others I hadn't suggested, but would've thought were nice.
This means that a lot of the hackage in my Debian build scripts is no longer necessary. Unfortunately, some of it is now actually harmful, so I have to "seek-and-destroy". Like now: I used to have to specify --prefix to configure, but now I shouldn't. Of course, I did, and CUPS wanted it's config files in '/usr/etc/cups'.
So, onward. I'll tell you what I was told today by someone: "Sooner, rather than later." :-)