Older blog entries for jsheets (starting at number 7)

Registered the OpenBooks project on SourceForge, to maintain and distribute WGA and my other book-length writings, as well as any other professional-level books with open licenses. No website yet...

The chapter proofs are finally done now. I still have to do the appendix (the GNOME FAQ) and the front matter, plus the index, but that shouldn't take much work...relatively speaking.

It's official now. The copyediting phase for Writing GNOME Applications is finished. All that's left now is to review the proofs in a couple of weeks, and the index in a couple more.

This weekend I'd like to get started developing on MELon, the Modular Extensible Loader for WorldForge. I have some thoughts down on its design, and it should be pretty straightforward to implement -- especially with the existing UClient module implementation to use as a starting point.

Going to the Lowen & Navarro concert tomorrow at the Fine Line. We caught the last L&N concert there, and it was fantastic!

Whew! Just got done with the revisions for chapter 9. Three more chapters and all I have left to do is review proofs and review the index. Ahh, pining for the normal life again.

Actually, that's a fib. I'm already getting excited about going through the whole process again--except using DocBook instead of MS Word *shudder*. Call me masochistic if you must, but I think a lot of the peripheral hassle of writing this book will be moot with the more descriptive DocBook format. I'm curious to see how the copyediting stage will progress under DocBook.

Also today, I posted what I have so far in my effort to DocBook-ize the Wine developers docs.

Finished off the copy edits for Chapter One of Writing GNOME Applications. Looks like the process will go pretty smoothly, although it might take a little longer than I thought it would. It's all gotta be done by June 23rd, in order to get the book out by mid-September. Shouldn't be a problem, though.

The day of the Big Move. We're moving to a much nicer office space, with 16-foot ceilings and easier access (the old offices were literally across the street from the Metrodome, where the Minnesota Vikings romp). It seems to be going pretty smoothly so far. We'll see...

Finally got WINE to build all the way through and run with the automake setup. Woo hoo! Had a little trouble with SO versions for all the dlls. Forgot they were accessed with dlopen(), not the dynamic loader, meaning that you can't keep changing the file name. Consequently, I had to strip out the -version-info linker flag from roughly 60 makefiles. Oh well. My own fault.

But hey, it works! I must admit I'm quite surprised. I didn't think automake/libtool would be up to the task, without some custom makefile hacking.

Very close to getting Wine to build under automake. Most of it has been straight forward. The spec and glue files weren't too bad, once I figured out what was going on. The RC (resource) files were a bit tricky, but I finally got it working today. So far, libwine.so and all the dlls build, and the wine binary links, except for a couple dozen missing symbols. I'll fix that tomorrow, hopefully. We'll see if it actually runs after that...

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!