A rather late diary update; been busy catching up on coursework, especially my project : I've discovered Fly! 2 is using similar technology which is re-assuring, I think. Also got accomodation sorted out for the GDC so I won't be sleeping on a San Jose sidewalk.
The Constellation framework is progressing very nicely; I have light-weight archive and message layers, which appear to work and do all the right things, and I'm slowly building up the infrastructure to get a server running. Most of a first-pass dynamics model is incorporated too; no collision detection yet, and before it will work I've got to stub out the Vehicle::Thruster component to get control from the Nav-Daemon to the physical entity.
Finally I've been moving networking code over from the the previous code base, and extending it to communicate via messages, using the archive layer to encode/decode. Not tested yet, but looks good and the code is compact. So overall, pretty reasonable progress