As sometimes happens, I got up this morning and found apache regression test failures from one machine or another. Today it is AIX. The threaded MPM won't compile anymore with xlc. It has to do with the non-AP_DEBUG flavor of cmd_func. I don't see that any code changed. Maybe --enable-maintainer-mode used to get AP_DEBUG defined even with xlc but not anymore because of configuration changes. Maybe this is goodness since we shouldn't require AP_DEBUG to be defined in order for it to compile with xlc. At least the coffee tastes good. [Update: We're using the AP_DEBUG flavor unexpectedly. The AP_DEBUG flavor of the cmd_func declarations is not portable. Last night Roy removed the check for gcc before turning on AP_DEBUG. Interestingly (or not :) ) the AP_DEBUG flavor of cmd_func compiles cleanly on gcc but the non-AP_DEBUG flavor doesn't. The non-AP_DEBUG flavor compiles cleanly with Tru64 cc and AIX xlc but the AP_DEBUG flavor doesn't. (On Tru64 we get a bunch of warnings with the AP_DEBUG flavor but at least it compiles; the same cannot be said of AIX xlc.)]
Instead of spending most of my spare time hacking on Apache lately I've been messing around at a house we just bought. I've been working on cleaning up the yard and fixing some drainage problems around the house. Next comes reworking the electrical line to the workstop. Other projects on the short list include putting GFCI sockets in the bathrooms, adding an exhaust fan in the master bath, replacing some light fixtures, upgrading the phone lines to support 2 lines + 100Mbps LAN, etc. The biggest problem for me with all this is overcoming the paralysis associated with the risk of making things worse. When I screw up badly I can't simply remove a damaged wall and let "cvs update" get me back to where I started.
The guys doing the painting and refinishing the floors still have a couple of weeks to go, after which we can move in and it will be easier to work on these projects.
Time to shut up and get to work... Liam will wake up any minute now and I need to look at the AIX+xlc problem before that happens. Also, I've got some updates to look at from David Reid for the libtool emulator we have for BeOS and OS/390.