Mandrake was getting unstable. Serves me right for using
Cooker I suppose. Also never got booting to work smoothly.
Grub never worked properly and I had to type parameters in
manually. I tried RH 7.2 this time then did Ximian's
desktop. I must say, its all quite nice. Some things that
need to be resolved:
- Integrating Ximian's menus with the Redhat ones. Lots of programs are lost from view at the moment. A better menu system that would allow re-arranging or at least adding to the base menu would be good.
- Settings don't stay in Galeon. Upon restart, Galeon loses all preferences I have set. Also, both Galeon and Mozilla are outdated. Hope they go with Galeon 1.0 soon, as well as the latest Mozilla (0.96).
- Some text garbage. I had noticed this with Mandrake's Gnome before doing some updates on Cooker. With programs like Gaim, some text gets some extra characters displayed at the end of messages (some control characters I think).
Things I like include:
- Evolution. This is a surprisingly smoothly running program. I am amazed at the quality of the email portion, its editor (with tables), its filters, as well as the calendar and address list. Very nice.
- The update tool. Very nice. I have a friend who had his system trashed with an update a few months ago (RPM stopped working). Hope this doesn't happen. The interface is one I could reccomend to my Dad (my Mum is much more tech savvy). I wish Ximian well with this tool. If they get good apps (or ones I need/like) on there and the purchase process is well done I will probably go for it.
- Adding the Gaim panel applet. I love the Gnome ICQ applet and now I can get the same ease of use with Gaim!