Ok... I've spent the day trying to fix some ugly problems on four of our books (even if only three of them really exist 'til now... The fourth should be ready on Monday). Jade, definitely, isn't my friend. It took me the whole day to fix these and even so I still have a huge problem to fix until Monday... I've hacked some Perl code too, but it wasn't really that difficult, so I think it isn't something that deserves to be mentioned in here.
I've found another problem this week that deserves some special attention: image scaling. There should be a way to get the phisical dimensions of an image and automatically find a scale factor for this image. We've found that we were using a wrongly made EPS file. Now we've corrected all of our scripts and amazingly books are 6 or 7 times smaller than before... :-) As I always say:
Give me enough resources and time, and I can give you exactly what you want
Unfortunately, time is something very scarce.
Back to the scaling problems... This tool should be able to read, at least, EPS2, JPEG and TIFF files and them scale them on printed media if necessary. It's output could be something like "50" for a 50% reduction or "150" for a 50% enlargement. I could use this information and fill the needed fields using a script of some kind (if you know any, please drop me a message!).
Another problem is that ImageMagick's convert is somewhat buggy... It doesn't preserves the pictures dimensions after converting it (we have some pictures created at The Gimp with a one squared centimeter size that gets very big after being converted to EPS). I should remember to write to it's developers, maybe we can help them with some feedback.
No news in the Emacs area, just the upgrade to fix the security bug. And, I was helping Andreas to correct our Emacs related packages.
That's it by now...