Links July 2014
Daniel Pocock wrote an informative article about the reConServer simple SIP conferencing server . I should try it out, currently most people I want to conference with are using Google Hangouts, but getting away from Google is a good thing.
Bert Archer wrote an insightful article about lazy tourism . His initial example of “love locks” breaking bridges was a bit silly (it’s not difficult to cut locks off a bridge) but his general point about lazy/stupid tourism is good.
Daniel Pocock wrote an insightful post about new developments in taxis, the London Taxi protest against Uber, and related changes . His post convinced me that Uber is a good thing and should be supported. I checked the prices and unfortunately Uber is more expensive than normal taxis for my most common journey.
The Verge has an interesting review of the latest Lytro Lightbox camera . Not nearly ready for me to use, but interesting technology.
Prospect has an informative article by Kathryn Joyce about the Protestant child sex abuse scandal in the US . Billy Graham’s grandson is leading the work to reform churches so that they protect children instead of pedophiles. Prospect also has an article by Kathryn Joyce about Christians home-schooling kids to try and program them to be zealots and how that hurts kids .
Jay Michaelson wrote an informative article for The Daily Beast about right-wing hate groups in the US who promote the extreme homophobic legislation in Russia and other countries . It also connects to the Koch brothers who seem to be associated with most evil. Elias Isquith wrote an insightful article for Salon about the current right-wing obsession with making homophobic discrimination an issue of “religious liberty” will hurt religious people . He also describes how stupid the right-wing extremists are in relation to other issues too.
EconomixComix.com has a really great comic explaning the economics of Social Security in the US . They also have a comic explaining the TPP which is really good . They sell a comic book about economics which I’m sure is worth buying. We need to have comics explaining all technical topics, it’s a good way of conveying concepts. When I was in primary school my parents gave me comic books covering nuclear physics and other science topics which were really good.
Mia McKenzie wrote an insightful article for BlackGirlDangerous.com about dealing with racist white teachers . I think that it would be ideal to have a school dedicated to each minority group with teachers from that group.
-  http://tinyurl.com/m8syp4q
-  http://seb.ly/2014/05/how-to-ask-to-get-paid-to-speak/
-  http://danielpocock.com/reConServer-for-easy-sip-conferencing
-  http://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/hardening-ssh-servers/
-  http://tinyurl.com/lj3s6ne
-  http://tinyurl.com/l9w84pf
-  http://danielpocock.com/protest-or-uber-marketing-stunt
-  http://tinyurl.com/lrob483
-  http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/30/5949913/lytro-illum-review
-  http://prospect.org/article/next-christian-sex-abuse-scandal
-  http://prospect.org/article/homeschool-apostates
-  http://tinyurl.com/m653fda
-  http://tinyurl.com/pb2a2bd
-  http://tinyurl.com/nz8a99t
-  http://economixcomix.com/home/social-security/
-  http://economixcomix.com/home/tpp/
-  http://tinyurl.com/pkcgkwd