Links September 2012
Scott Adams has an interesting idea for political debates he calls “Fact Bubbler” . It sounds implausible the first time you read it, but then so did Wikipedia.
Arstechnica has an interesting article on software defined radio . This could change many things.
The Nieder Family has another update on the way patents threaten their daughter’s ability to communicate . Also Apple is making things worse by taking pre-emptive strikes against iPhone apps which are involved in legal disputes – never use an iPhone (or other proprietary system) for anything important if you have a choice.
In more positive news crowd-funded gene sequencing has found an explanation for Maya Nieder’s developmental delays . This will revolutionise medicine!
EyeNetra is developing a smart-phone based system for testing eyes . It’s apparently possible to manufacture glasses for $0.75 so the cost and difficulty of performing eye tests is the main factor that prevents poor people in developing countries from getting glasses. So a cheap portable eye testing system is going to help many people get the glasses they need.
Maco wrote an interesting article about crochet and reverse-engineering along with a Python program to print a crochet pattern . I wonder whether anyone has tried to make a crochet robot, something like a 3D printer but which crochet’s things rather than printing them. Holding the wool would be a real challenge, it’s not nearly as easy as printing on something that’s stuck down and incapable of movement.
-  http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/fact_bubbler/
-  http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/how-software-defined-radio-could-revolutionize-wireless/
-  http://niederfamily.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/silencing-of-maya.html
-  http://blog.ted.com/2012/07/17/newly-discovered-gene-may-explain-4-year-olds-rare-disease-thanks-to-ted-fellow-jimmy-lin/
-  http://spectrum.ieee.org/podcast/at-work/tech-careers/why-bad-jobsor-no-jobshappen-to-good-workers
-  http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jul/02/propublica-investigative-reporting
-  http://www.propublica.org/
-  http://michaelochurch.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/dont-waste-your-time-in-crappy-startup-jobs/
-  http://eyenetra.com/
-  http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/ff-corning-gorilla-glass/all/
-  http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com.au/2010/10/algorithms-reverse-engineering-and.html
- Links April 2012 Karen Tse gave an interesting TED talk about how to...
- Links May 2012 Vijay Kumar gave an interesting TED talk about autonomous UAVs...
- Links July 2012 The New York Times has an interesting article about “hacker...