11 Feb 2012 ensonic   » (Master)


The first big change after releasing 0.6 was to move from svn to git. SourceForge offers git since a while, but does not provide any tips how to do the transition. Fortunately it is a popular topic though. I used svn2git for the main conversion. I fixed the author tags from svn commit messages (Patch-by:) manually using git rebase -i as I could not get a filter-branch script for it to work. A few times gitk got confused and I had to remove my .git/gitk.cache, one symptom are missing tags. I updated the enlistments on ohloh and tweaked the git hooks to have the same functionality as before.

A first code wise change was to move the bsl module into the buzztard one. It is a small module for the buzztard song-loader plugin and it is not needed if you don't want to load buzz songs. But it is small and has no further dependencies and thus it is easier to just include it. Especially as we plan to add other loaders in the coming cycle(s).

In the editor I bumped the required gtk version to get rid of some #ifdef and be able to use newer API. I replaced the ruler widgets in volume and panorama popups with with scale markers. Those look nicer and take the scale handle size into account. Unfortunately they were almost untested. I made the needed patches for gtk-2-24, gtk-3-2 and gtk-HEAD [1],[2]. I could also made workarounds for the issue for the time being. So for the time being, don't use inverted ranges on your scales and don't use an adjustment with fractions (use 0 .. 100 instead of 0.0 to 1.0).

Most of the work went in the the interaction controller. The controller assignment in the UI is a bit more discoverable (content menu not only on main widgets, but also on the label and value label). Controllers can be assigned to combo-boxes too (mapped to enums). We have controllers for note-on midi messages and the velocity that comes with it now.

The other bigger change is that we now have persistent audio sessions (right now only enabled for jack). We're basically keep the sink alive across songs and also keep it in a resource allocated state. This gives a little speedup on the playback startup, but the main motivation was to allow to configure linkage of buzztard with other jack client in qjackcontrol. This is also an enabler for transport sync support. I have landed initial support for this in gstreamer-git.

There were also a few smaller changes for user feedback on docs and new tips. The design folder got more experiments.

485 files changed, 2638 insertions(+), 2033 deletions(-)

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!