2 Aug 2011 ensonic   » (Master)

buzztard

Another month with good progress. I've started with the undo/redo parts in the sequencer view. Most of the edits are handled now. I am still stuck with one problem though. So far the order of signal handler on object removal did not matter. Now it does :/ There are things that when they get removed remove other things. And that causes chains of modificatins that in the change log would overwrite (shadow) the save data. Not yet sure how to solve that. I'll probably confront someone at the desktop summit with the problem over some beer in the hope that I find a solution while I am explaining the issue :) As a good side effect of the undo/redo work, I could remove the warning dialogs that I was showing when removing things. Makes the editor more pleasant to use.

During my july trip to mountain view I brought two cheap midi controlers - korg nanokontrol and nanokeys 2. The nanokeys 2 is not so nice, but the nanokontrol seems to be okay. Unfortunately I didn't notice is is the old model, the nanokontrol 2 has more keys. I have played quite a bit with the nanokontrol in buzztard. Found and fixed a few bugs. One thing I definitely needed to do is to store the keys one has trained. Thanks to my long train journeys between munich and leipzig these days, that got implemented. For the nanokeys I need to still do a couple of things and those will have to wait for the next version.

As I was blocked on the undo/redo I did more small mini-songs. As usual found a couple of bugs. Buzztard stores timestamps in the song (like when it was created and when it was saved the last time). When closing a song with changes it warns you about loosing the changes for the last n hours/minutes. Thas was completely off if one loads a song and makes some changes. I need to set the last-saved to the time of the first change. A few other bugs were related to 64bit arch and using wrong int types in varargs functions. I also made some ui improvements. The settings hide more unusable audiosinks (apexsink, sfsink), especially probing apexsink caused long delays as I don't have the hardware for it.

One issue that I had no good explanation for but that was quite apparent when doing demos was small breaks when the song loops. Especially at the first loop it caused a bad glitch and later it sometimes played a bit too much or skipped something when wrapping around. I had made some test apps for it, but could not reproduce it there so far. Finally I looked at it again and found a small self-contained testcase that was reproducing it. On that case I could narrow it down to a combination of two gstreamer elements causing it. Still it was not straight forward to fix it, after all it is not crashing or such. I decided that the only way forward was to get a good picture of what is happening and verifying the events step by step. Voila, we now have a improved gst-tracelib and a gnuplot script for plotting event over time. Would be nice to have a more interactive UI for gnuplot though. I filed a bug and put the data there, if you are curious about the graphs. After some more nights I found the issue and the fix for the adder plugin is now upstream. A simillar change needs to be done for the videomixer elements (will look into that soon).

43 files changed, 2779 insertions(+), 496 deletions(-)

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!