19 Aug 2010 dwmw2   » (Master)

I wanted to update a Nokia E71 to the latest firmware. So I booted a Windows 7 VM, went to the Nokia web site and downloaded the update tool. It took about quarter of an hour to download 33MiB over my crappy ADSL line.

When it finally finished downloading, I installed it and rebooted as it asked me to, then tried to start it using the icon it had installed on the desktop.

It told me there was an update available, and I couldn't use it until I updated. I muttered darkly at this idiocy, but let it update. It spent another quarter of an hour downloading, and only then did it check and tell me that it couldn't proceed because it needed to be run as Administrator.

So I right-clicked on it and used the 'run as Administrator' option, and watched it download itself for the third time. But still it failed, complaining that I had to run it as Administrator.

So I logged out completely and logged in using the Administrator account, and I ran it again. After downloading the entire thing for a fourth time it failed again, still complaining that it has insufficient privileges and needed to be run as the Administrator.

I am stunned — Nokia really ought to be ashamed at this crap.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!