Bleh, I'm hacking on the X server again...
Got the SysKonnect FDDI driver working and portable in 2.3.x
Need to cut a 2.2.x version of these changes and submit to
SysKonnect folks for review...
latest cut of his elevator hacks, let's
how this goes.
I believe AT&T Cable has a conspiracy going. Every time I've gotten a new cable box, exactly one month later the cable goes out. I call them up, they ask for the number on the bottom of my Digital Cable box, and then immediately turn my service back on. I think what they're doing is just keeping track of the boxes their customers have on a lazy basis, ie. having the customer do the work for them.
Spent a few days on my new paging stuff, killed most of the
but it still had a lot of problems. Suddenly I realized
isn't what I should be working on and as such I have dropped
work for a while, but I sent off a snapshot of the work to
Tweedie in case he wishes to play with it.
Playing with Jens's new elevator stuff, on my box the first
looks really bad... hope that's just a cold first run issue
he's sent this stuff off to Linus already.
Wonder what the heck I'll talk about in my keynote. I'll probably just play it safe and do a "state of the kernel address" type presentation, with emphasis and detailing in the areas I have some clue about (ie. networking, sparc, page cache).
Andrew broke 3c59x.c on non-little-endian machines and those
not supporting virt_to_bus/bus_to_bus in pre6-6, I've let
know about this. :-)
Starting to make more progress on my VM hacks, the anon layer was just the beginning. I hope after the 2nd or 3rd pot of coffee tonight I should have something that at least remotely resembles what I want it all to look like. If I arrive at something people can at least play with, I'll post patches.
The Sun IFB/Expert3D card turns out to be an Intense3D chipset (the Wildcat 4110). Their site claims a Linux driver around the summer, but I bet the fucks will do binary only x86 drivers which essentially screws over any chance of legitimate Sparc/Linux support.
Finally got to finishing half of the SKFP portability stuff.
Merged current tree to Linus.
Wrote an anon page layer for the Linux vm. It works, no leaks, no bugs, etc.
Older UltraSparc firmware aparently writes out the "assigned-address" PCI device properties incorrectly for 64-bit MEM space resources. I hate having to write workarounds for crap like this. Nice spotting on this one by Matt Jacob.
Jens is making nice progress on the elevator performance fixups. The one issue we really haven't looked deeply into is how the elevator interacts with the queue plugging, as done by the scsi layer. He is off checking this out already :-)
Went to Santa Cruz with the wife, stuffed ourselves with fish, listened to the sea lions growl, watched the surfers, and came home.
Jens is interested in improving elevator now too :-) Really, the problem is the missed coalescing, the latency concept is not fundamentally broken. The algorithm can get a lot of both worlds by coalescing whenever possible. In this way it performs latency reduction on groups of requests instead of on a per-request basis.
Got distracted for two days working on a prototype fibre channel card, can't talk much about it, but I can say there'll be a Linux driver for this beast :-)
Sun released their IFB (aka. "Expert 3D") graphics card yesterday. It's a bit pricey, but I'm so itching to do a Linux driver for it I may just end up buying one.
The cscope release made Larry McVoy nearly wet his pants.
I think I know why Andrea's new elevator code is so much
than 2.2.x's disk sorting. The general scheme of the
to keep low the latency introduced to old requests by new
being added. In doing this, it prevents merging with other
to the same area of the disk. In actuality this "latency
really increasing latency, because a missed merge means it
take two I/O operations to move data which could have been
a single request. Also, since the elevator will move the
towards the end of the I/O queue, it is almost certain that
to other sectors will happen first, thus an unnecessary disk
I have no idea why the elevator make LVM/IDE dbench runs
for him, as it seems quite wrong fundamentally.
Will study this more soon.
Cobbled together 2.2.15pre fixes for Alan, sent them off. The Netra-T1 irq probing bug and the sym896 issues on sparc64 should now be cured, as is the double poll_wait problem in sbus audio.
Watched the demo of the RazerCPL quake3 final match between nb.fatal1ty and D16-Makaveli. Fate has some insane new moves in q3dm13 I've never seen before, the best was the double RL jump out of the basement lava back safely to the second level. He tried it again later in the match but didn't have enough health to pull it off :-)
Head of TODO List: SKFP driver portability work.
New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.
Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.
If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!