I've had fun the last few days getting Suneido to automatically change the mouse cursor to the hourglass wait cursor whenever it's busy. (This is on Windows.) You might think that would be easy, but it's actually fairly tricky. You can read about it on Codeproject.
I've wanted to do this for quite a while but been putting it off because I fully expected it to be frustrating. (And it was!) My thoughts after spending almost two days on this:
- Why isn't this built into Windows?
- Why hasn't anyone else done this? (Or if they have, why
haven't they published it.)
- Documentation sucks. None of the critical information I
needed was in the documentation.
- Thank goodness for news groups. I'm not sure I would
have solved this without comp.os.ms-
- Was it worth spending this much time on such a minor detail?
Despite the frustration (or maybe because of it?) I'm still pretty happy with getting this done. It's a little thing, but in many ways I think a good product is the gestalt of a whole bunch of such "little" things.