Moving my weblog back here so I can have some more control and flexibility.
Took a much needed vacation from school and work last week in the lower Catskill Mountains. Tried to check my email once while I was away and got this error message in IE (notice the second line). Arrived home early yesterday and I am back to reality.
Lots of new GNOME packages released since I've been away. The gstreamer and file-chooser work look especially exciting. Definitely on track for a nice 2.6.0 release.
In the process of cleaning up my home directory, I came across some of my first screenshots from the beginnings of GNOME 2.x. In just over a year and a half, it's really quite amazing the transition that went on from long flame wars, rewrites and general uncertainly to the direction and polish present in GNOME 2.3.x today.
I finally added the new GNOME website header to art.gnome.org. I am still looking for a rocking header image to replace the boring purple one. If you have any ideas, please email them to me.
As for the future of art.gnome.org, I'd like to get rid of all of the purple background colors, but 500+ thumbnails have a drop shadow with a purple background added to them by hand. I'm looking for some help in removing all of the drop shadows or writing a gimp/python script to remove them.
I updated my GNOME browser gaim patch to work with gaim-0.67. The latest patch is here.
With Rob McQueen's help, I cooked up a patch to gaim that makes gaim open urls in the GNOME web browser. Gaim will now detect if you are running GNOME and automatically open URLs with your GNOME web browser. No extra configuration is required and the browser section of the preferences tab is actually hidden if you're running GNOME.
The patch against 0.66 is here. libgnome 220.127.116.11 or later is required since this uses the gnome-open binary.
I finally finished up and committed the search and sort features for art.gnome.org that I had been slowly working on the past 6 months. The site now has a way to search through all themes and backgrounds by name and/or author. The background and theme listing pages also now have the ability to be sorted by date and name to make browsing for what you want a little easier.
As for future enhancements to art.gnome.org, I'd like to make the focus of the site on system themes or meta themes instead of individual (gtk, metacity, etc) themes as it is now. This will integrate better with GNOME and the theme manager. Please email me with UI ideas/suggestions/mockups. We also need to work out a way to separate gtk2 themes and engines and find a way to list what gtk2 engines each theme on a.g.o requires, if any. Anyone looking to help, please contact me.
Wow, it's been a long time since I posted anything here. I've been busy working all summer doing hardware design and programming for a solar cell array.
In other news, I've decided that it's about time to do something about art.gnome.org. I've been working on some major changes for the last 4 months but haven't had time to finish them up and check them in. Hopefully this will get done this week.
New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.
Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.
If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!