My life has been pretty crazy with school recently, 5 classes and all. Thinking never stops, so here are things that passed through my head (sanitized) over the past little while:
- I have an N810. Is cool. Will blog later more about it.
- Congrats to Fedora for all the cool community work they have been doing. Many transitions have been happening, with Max Spevack resigning as Project Leader and Paul Frields taking over. Red Hat has also added Tom Callaghan to the Fedora team and it looks like that a formal "Fedora community" team is in the offing. Fedora have always pushed us technically and I am glad to the see the community prosper as well. A stronger Fedora (or OpenSuse, Mandriva, etc.) makes a stronger Linux.
- Common Desktop Infrastructure - what the hell is this thing? How does it fit into the Portland Project? Is this another useless Linux Foundation buzzword project?
- The next edition of "the book" is coming along. I have been massively busy recently, so if you emailed me, I have your email and will respond this weekend, I promise.
- It appears that Victoria might actually be getting some decent transit. Well, if you call Bus Rapid Transit decent...
- Nick Ali (boredandblogging) has been doing an absolutely amazing job with the Fridge recently.
- The Ubuntu Weekly News is still going strong. John Crawford and the aforementioned Nick, as well as many many others, have been doing a stellar job here.
- A question: Aside from Dell, why are most of the new preinstalled Linuxes "home built"? I can think of gOS, the Asus EEE and of course the N810, none shipping with any of major Linux distributions or DEs, really. Yes, I know that gOS is based on Ubuntu, the EEE is Xandros and ships KDE and the N810 is Debian-based. They all use custom UIs and only bits and pieces of the underlying OS. The closest is probably the EEE, with KDE in the Advanced mode.
- KDE got 4 out the door. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks very cool.
One final note: If there are any dropped n's or missing spaces in the previous post, I cleaned my keyboard recently and have been having issues since...